The Governing Body of Mount Pellon Primary Academy
Chair of Governors - Carlton Midgley
If you would like to contact our Chair of Governors please send a letter to the school and we will ensure it is passed on:
FAO: Carlton Midgley
Mount Pellon Primary Academy
The governing body (2017-18) of Mount Pellon Primary Academy has 3 governors and one Clerk. Declarations of Business Interests can be found below:
Chair of Governors
Carlton Midgley - CM - Declaration of Business Interests
Chris Walton - CW - Declaration Of Business Interests
John Gray - JG - Declaration Of Business Interests
Ruth Collyer - RC - Declaration of Business Interests
Nayla Khan - Clerk
A list of governors from the last academic year (2016/17) is below:
|Board Member||Governor Type||Term of Office||Committee Membership||Other governor positions||Business Interests||Material Interests||Meetings Attended|
|Robert Flack||Chair||31/08/2017||Chair Of Governors Portfolio Holder of: Teaching and Learning Safeguarding Leadership and Management Behaviour Community||Chair of Governors at Abbey Park Academy||Locala Healthcare Group||None||5|
|John Gray||Governor||19/01/2019||Portfolio Holder of: Outcomes for Pupils||None||Barclays Bank||None||4|
|John Player||Governor||31/08/2017||Portfolio Holder of: Finance and Resources||None||None||None||4|
|Gillian Tawse||NET||31/08/2017||Achievement Partner||None||None||None||2|
|Ruth Collyer||Staff||31/08/2018||Governor||None||Vice Principal at Mount Pellon||None||5|
There are three core strategic functions of governing bodies:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the principal to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the academy and making sure its money is well spent.
As governors we understand that evidence suggests that governors that carry out their role well do so by:
- understanding their strategic role - building a productive and supportive relationship with the principal while holding them to account for school performance and taking hard decisions in the light of objective data;
- ensuring governors have the necessary skills and commitment, including to challenge the school to bring about improvement and hold leaders to account for performance;
- appointing an effective chair to lead and manage the governing board
- appointing a high quality clerk to advise them on the nature of their functions and duties and who ensures that that governing board operates efficiently and effectively;
- evaluating their performance regularly in the light of expectations and other good practice and making changes as necessary to improve their effectiveness; and
- governing more than one school to develop a more strategic perspective and create a more robust accountability through the ability to compare and contrast across schools.
As governors we acknowledge we have responsibility for ensuring that Mount Pellon Primary Academy within Northern Education Trust has an effective and appropriate system of control, financial and otherwise. The governing body's overriding responsibility is to work in partnership with the Principal, to promote the continuous improvement in the performance of the school. We play an important part in raising school standards through our three key roles of setting strategic direction, ensuring accountability and monitoring and evaluating school performance.
The governing body of Mount Pellon Primary Academy seeks to reflect fully the population of the school and welcomes members from all sections of our community.
The agendas and minutes of our meetings are made available to the local authority and are at the school for anyone to read via the school office. We do, however, maintain the right to confidentiality where appropriate. Non governors may attend meetings at the invitation of the governing body.
If you would like to contact the Governors for any reason, please address your letter to the chair of governors, and leave it for them at the school office.